1. On the eve of the Victory Day, honoring of veterans of the Great Patriotic War was held in Ashgabat's “Mekan” Palace. In accordance with the decree of the head of state, war veterans and widows of soldiers who died in the war were awarded cash prizes and valuable gifts. Many kind words were said to the veterans. The speakers thanked them for their feat, heroic work in the rear and selfless work to educate the younger generation. Similar ceremonies are held these days in all regions of Turkmenistan.
2. President of Turkmenistan Serdar Berdimuhamedov took part in the coronation ceremony of King Charles III of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and his wife Queen Camilla. The ceremony at Westminster Abbey was attended by 2300 people from 203 countries, including about 100 heads of state. Charles III took over the throne from his mother, Elizabeth II, who passed away in autumn 2022.
3. From May 6, FlyDubai has increased the number of flights from Dubai to Ashgabat to four times a week. Flights will operate on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Previously, there were no flights on Saturdays. Tickets can be purchased online - on the official website of the Emirates airline.
4. Russian President Vladimir Putin, during a telephone conversation, invited the head of Turkmenistan, Serdar Berdimuhamedov, to take part in the celebrations on the occasion of the 78th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War, which are scheduled to be held in Moscow on May 9. The heads of the two states cordially congratulated each other on the approaching Victory Day, addressing the wishes of well-being and prosperity to the peoples of both countries. President Serdar Berdimuhamedov noted that in Turkmenistan, as in Russia, the memory of those who defended the country on the battlefields in those harsh years and selflessly worked in the rear, bringing victory closer, is sacredly honored.
5. A creative concert in memory of the People's Artist of Turkmenistan, composer Nury Halmamedov, timed to coincide with his 85th birthday, was held at the Lebap Special School of Arts. The listeners were presented with documentary films about the life and work of the musician; a presentation about his student years at the Moscow State Conservatory and the process of creating significant original works.
6. The winners of the MTV Movie & TV Awards have been announced. “Scream 6” won Best Picture, while “One of Us” won Best TV Series. In addition, the titles of “Best Performance in a Movie” and “Best Performance on TV” were awarded respectively to Tom Cruise in “Top Gun: Maverick” and Jenna Ortega for her role in the TV series “Wednesday”.
7. About 1,7 million people took part in the largest rally of the current Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Istanbul ahead of the presidential elections scheduled for May 14. The rally in support of the country's leader was held in the National Park on the territory of the former Ataturk International Airport. 64 million citizens of the republic will be able to take part in the elections on May 14. To win in the first round of the presidential election, you need to get at least 50% of the votes plus one.
8. The world boxing championship among men continues in Tashkent. Two Turkmen boxers made it to the 1/8 finals of the World Championship. Bayramdurdy Nurmuhammedov, performing in the weight category up to 71 kg, defeated the representative of Mauritius Merven Clair by the decision of the judges. In the next stage, the boxer from Turkmenistan will meet with the representative of Russia Igor Sviridchenkov. In the weight category up to 67 kg, Saparmurad Odayev won an early victory over the Swedish boxer Adel Belalia. In the next stage, the Turkmen boxer will meet with the Venezuelan Christian Palacio. The tournament will end on May 14 with a prize pool of 5,2 million USD.
9. “Kitchee” played a draw with “Lee Man Warriors” in the final round of the Hong Kong Championship and became the champion of the country. As part of the team, the Turkmen midfielder Ruslan Mingazov also won the champion title. The current season has become a breakthrough for him: the player has 17 goals in 18 league matches. 31 years old Ruslan Mingazov is a pupil of the honored coach of Turkmenistan Vasily Karpov and the son of Kamil Mingazov, a well-known winger of the Ashgabat “Kopetdag” in the past and the national team of Turkmenistan.
10. Alekper Ahmedov, a member of the Ashgabat climbing club “Agama”, climbed to the “Mir” station of Mount Elbrus, located at an altitude of 3500 meters above sea level. The Elbrus region hosts the International Festival of Mountain Extreme Sports. The program has several starts. One of them is the “vertical kilometer”, which the Turkmen climber also conquered.