Teams of the Republic of Korea, Lebanon, DPR Korea and Sri Lanka will be rivals of Turkmen football players in the group qualifying tournament of the World Cup, the final part of which will be held in 2022 in Qatar. According to the draw held at the headquarters of the Asian Football Confederation in Kuala Lumpur, these teams formed the group “H”.
During the draw, the 40 best teams in Asia were divided into five groups. Turkmenistan, along with Myanmar, Hong Kong, Yemen, Afghanistan, Maldives, Kuwait and Malaysia, was in the fourth pot. The teams that got into it were divided into 8 qualifying groups. Turkmenistan ended up in the “H” group with teams of the Republic of Korea, Lebanon, North Korea and Sri Lanka.
Results of the draw for the qualifying round of the World Cup 2022 and the Asian Cup 2023
- Group A: Guam, Maldives, Philippines, Syria, China
- Group B: Nepal, Kuwait, Chinese Taipei, Jordan, Australia
- Group C: Cambodia, Hong Kong, Bahrain, Iraq, Iran
- Group D: Singapore, Yemen, Palestine, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia,
- Group E: Bangladesh, Afghanistan, India, Oman, Qatar
- Group F: Mongolia, Myanmar, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Japan
- Group G: Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, United Arab Emirates
- Group H: Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, DPRK, Lebanon, Republic of Korea
The group stage games, which at the first stage will be at the same time qualifying for the 2022 World Cup and the 2023 Asian Cup, will be held from September 5, 2019 to June 9, 2020, with home-away trips.
The winners of the groups and the 4 best teams among the runners-up will get to the next round of the selection of the World Cup 2022 and automatically reserve seats in the final stage of the Asian Cup 2023.
Thus, the fight for the right to participate in the final stage of the World Cup at the final stage will continue to 12 teams, which will be divided into 2 groups. The teams that took the first 2 places in their groups will receive the right to play in the final stage of the World Cup 2022.
And the teams left behind in the final round of the World Cup 2022 selection will continue to fight for the remaining 12 vouchers for the Asian Cup 2023.